Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Station, located in Vernon, Vt., is a single-unit boiling water reactor designed by General Electric that operated from 1972 to 2014.
At full power, Vermont Yankee generated 620 megawatts, providing nearly a third of all electricity consumed in Vermont.
In 2002, Entergy purchased Vermont Yankee for $180 million.
During the operating period, there were as many as 650 employees.
The Vermont Yankee site encompasses about 125 acres. The site also includes the historic Governor Hunt House. Entergy also owns office properties in Brattleboro, Vt.
The station is located on the Connecticut River, just north of the Vernon Dam, a 32.4 megawatt hydroelectric project that began operating in 1909. Therefore, there has been energy generation on this area of the Connecticut River for more than a century.
For facts on Vermont Yankee decommissioning, go to Decommissioning Facts.